Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Johann
    Keymaster

On 22, July 2016 the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) inside the US Department of State added language describing certain repairs of firearms and the making new or replacement parts for firearms. The published rules will go into effect on 31, December 2016. These changes affect what we refer to as ITAR or the “International Trafficking of Arms Resources” managed by the DDTC. ITAR was created during 1976 and signed into law by President Gerald Ford.

The intent of this order was the regulation of arms and parts for heavy arms (ships, tanks, aircraft, missles) as well as light weapons and especially military technology that were to be exported. Now, that makes sense, of course. What makes no sense is when this same rule-making body decided to add the rules and high annual fees to those who repair or manufacture solely for domestic sale and use. If domestic-only activity is to be regulated; it needs to be managed by the US Department of Commerce; who at this time only regulates the manufacture of shotguns with barrels longer than 18″ and black powder long guns and black powder handguns.

What this means: On 31, December 2016 any person making barrels from blanks, chambering barrels, threading barrels, assembling barrels, making new parts, making replacement parts, etc. must now become registered with the US Department of State. Any FFL-licensed gunsmith is also covered by these changes. So, who’s on our side? The NRA? Well, they made a very brief statement about this matter more than a week after it was released and did not indicate any planned resistance – typical. The NSSF has been active, as well as the FAIR Trade group. Currently a Bill exists in both the US House and US Senate, that if passed and signed by the President would force the US Department of State to delete this language.

What do I think? I think these changes will be undone in time but I do not think they will be quick to pass on and estimate that perhaps by late spring to early summer 2017 we may see a solution.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Johann.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Johann.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.